Mr Vegas : INTERVIEW | Dancehall Artist

Mr Vegas | Dancehall Artist

This is a relaxed Vegas that was found after his performance hailed by the public Garance Reggae Festival this summer. Show a renewed, more reggae, incorporating songs from his latest album, "Sweet Jamaica".

A new page for Vegas, but keep an eye on fundamentals: his biggest success in the mid-2012's still Bruck it up a strong and explicit as dancehall. This was an opportunity to take with him on his career, after rumors of retirement in 2008. It also responds without taboo on his health problems.

Sweet Jamaica's vidéo Mr Vegas 




How was the concert tonight?

Mr Vegas / It was good, real good vibes, great energy. It's good to see people become so crazy. It's always good to play in France, there is always a lot of energy.

The concert was very reggae. You have built many pieces of your last album,'''' Sweet Jamaica, and it seems logical that the petition after you released last year to save reggae.
This is because I'm trying to grow with the music. I just realized after making music professionally for over 16 years, at one point you need to build your career. To make more real shot, I must learn to balance my benefits. Must dancehall fans continue to come see Vegas, but when you participate in a festival and there are people who came to see Rita Marley, you must also satisfy the public. You have to adapt to not only the audience say, "Oh, it is the dancehall concert, so put it in the early evening. "This is the kind of career I want to build.

Is this related to the 50th anniversary of independence, because this album is timely?

Indeed, the album is dedicated to the fiftieth and large icons that made reggae Jimmy Cliff, Alton Ellis, Dennis Brown, all these great artists. And of course, the dancehall side, all fans of Mr Vegas experience.

   "I decided to continue with music, finding another equilibrium"

What do you think of this anniversary?

This is really a good vibration. The government is involved, for example to choose the songs, even if it is not there yet. This is not yet what it should be. But I think I will enjoy this moment is important.

Album dancehall, there are plenty of winks to your old songs, to classic dancehall. You resume the same riddim Black widow. Why?

The same way as for the reggae album, it is a way of paying tribute to dancehall culture. I also wanted to show where I came from and how I grew. When I started, we had titles and riddims that are now somewhat forgotten by the younger. I wanted to remember it all and say that this time we did a good dancehall, with songs that can be considered as references. Moreover, many riddims on which I began are now considered classics for soundmen.

The last time I came across was to Uptown Monday. Do you go out much?

Ah yes, Uptown Monday ... I hang from time to time in the evenings and I try to go to the best possible.

You left a lot of dance songs in recent years, what is your favorite group of dancers?
I do not really have a favorite band, I support all groups. I like the freshness that you find young and I want to stay young. Follow dance groups is a good way to stay young. There are still Xpressionz Dance are my girls and Orville (Hall, ed) is my friend.

In 2008, we learned that you stopped the music. It was about health problems of your family ... But you never stopped, you continued to release records until we find you in Paris for a concert in 2010 ... Why? It was just a rumor?

In truth, I suffer from pericarditis: if you do some research on this disease, you will see that it causes the presence of fluids around the heart. But I've learned to control this disease to live with. So I can live a normal life. It is also not the main reason that made me consider stopping the music. At that time, I was a little tired of the atmosphere in the music business: competition, jealousy, hypocrisy, evil spirit ... It is hard to get off and it is very hard everyday. And it was mostly having to sacrifice the impression my family life, not being able to see my family, my loved ones, as much as I wanted. So I decided to continue music, but otherwise continue by finding a different balance. The fact that I now have the desire to do more reggae is part of this new equilibrium.

What are your plans exactly?

For now, I'm on tour. I would also not in Jamaica on the anniversary of independence. I'm not even going to London for the Olympics After Europe, we share in the Caribbean, it is a world tour. I expected some reggae with Frenchie (Maximum Sound) and I also planning to resume production, it keeps me really heart because it is some thing that I like and that I had stopped doing there Some time after In the streetz.